Straight from the heart!

6 June, 2010

In loving memory of my Dad

PapaIn loving memory of my Dad

Mr. R.S.Sahaye IPS

(16th January, 1945  –  9th June, 2000)

Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure,

you are loved beyond words & missed beyond measures!

Barely a year after his birth in Lahore (1945), this infant was torn between the partition of India and Pakistan. He survived the onslaughts and migrated to Punjab with his parents to start a new life. He grew up to be a brilliant student and one of the youngest among his fellow classmates in Ludhiana, Punjab. Son of an Engineer, he often topped the university in academics and started teaching as a lecturer in English (1965-1968). He was a prankster, yet simple & honest at heart, who was destined to do bigger things in life. He Mastered in arts with English as his subject and was very fond of reading the likes of Robert Ludlum, Agatha Cristie and Ian Fleming among others.  He also enjoyed listening to the Beatles, Abba, BoneyM and Indian legends Mohd. Rafi and Jagjit Singh as his favorites.

A little reluctant for lack of preparations and some insistence by his brothers, he gave exams for the élite Indian civil services and got selected with a very high score.  He went on to join the Indian Police services in July, 1968. Apart from the stringent training schedule at the Police academy in Mt. Abu (Rajasthan, India), he took special interest in cultural activities and was quite popular among his batchmates for his skills, wit, singing and above all a very jovial nature. He put his heart and soul in the profession and became known for solving highly complicated & sensitive cases in his career. He was the 1st Superintendent of Police (SP) for East Delhi District and was later the chief of detectives at the Crime Branch of Delhi Police (DCP), where he created a record for the longest and most successful tenure in the department. He consistently got a Distinction in ACR’s (Annual Confidential Reports) throughout the career and was awarded the Police Medal for Meritorious services (Republic Day, 1984) and later the President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Services (Independence day, 1992),  the highest police honor in the country. His reputation of being a thoroughly upright, effective and non-political  nature, sought him both – accolades (for those who valued his work) and many frequent transfers (for whom he was more of an “Inconvenience”).

Throughout his tenures, he always kept his family close to his heart and took them along wherever he was posted, be it the Andaman & Nicobar Islands (first as ASP in 1971-72 and then again as IGP in 1990-91), Chandigarh (1977-80) or even while he became the 1st Director General of Police (DGP) of Goa (1999-2000). His intense loving, protective, selfless and caring attitude towards the family was astonishing, considering the round the clock working hours and dealing with many hardened criminals at work. He was also a very religious, disciplined, grounded, practical, diligent and a farsighted person who never allowed his children to go astray with all the power.

He passed away at a very early age of 55 years with a massive heart attack, while at the peak of his career but left behind his uncompromising values and ideals that guide us to live with humility and self-respect. Today, ten years have gone by without him and we can still feel his warmth and love around us.

20 Comments »

1. An inspirational and heart touching tale.

Comment by Maninderjeets Singh — 6 June, 2010 @ 1:26 pm | Reply

2. I have no words to express how much this video of your beloved father, has touched me…especially the ones in which he is holding you as a baby and with you and your sister standing next to him…you must be missiing him a lot. I am in tears to see how much you loved your father ( (just the way I love my dear Dad ) and love it when you said ” I now, firmly believe that taking care of your loved ones (especially parents) is true religion. We often pray to a God, we’ve never seen and overlook the unrelenting love and sacrifice that our parents have given for our future. If only, I had that one extra moment with my “Papa” and seize it forever.”…. I am sure your Dad, whom you love so much, will be watching you live your life to the full, love your mother, wife and kids… God bless you, my brother.

Arun Arunachalam
    Manila-Philippines

Comment by Arun — 6 June, 2010 @ 11:12 pm | Reply

3. Dear Vikram,

Thank you so much for sharing the tribute to your father. He really was a great man. Perhaps in heaven he will be happy to know that his son is following his footsteps.

Hugs

Kapil

Comment by Kapil Rampal — 7 June, 2010 @ 11:07 am | Reply

4. Hi Vikram,

Very touching tribute to Uncle. Did not get much opportunity to spend some time with him and know more about him, but your tribute to him made me connect to him. I was there with you when this sad day happenned. My eyes are wet in his tribute.

Luv

Comment by Sumit — 7 June, 2010 @ 6:33 pm | Reply

5. Vikram, very very touching indeed. A boy’s love for his father is one of the strongest bonds that exists. I remember very distinctly the short time I spent with Uncle at Goa – I still can’t get his awe-inspiring demeanour, galant figure and efficacious affection out of my mind. I am sure he is at a much better place now and looking down on all of us. Least we all can do is to follow his principles and keep them alive. I join you in remembering and saluting him.

Comment by Kapil Bamba — 7 June, 2010 @ 7:01 pm | Reply

6. Dear Vikram,

Thanks, having read and seen the video, I am going do something that I haven’t done in a long long time – HUG my dad and mom the first thing when I meet them next. Each photo had a story and I am sure that uncle must be smiling right now – though I never got to meet him, I felt him standing next to you in probably what seemed like a live tribute you were paying to him. We take parents for granted and that is so so true. God Bless. Samit

Comment by samit — 7 June, 2010 @ 8:18 pm | Reply

7. It was inspiring to know about your Dad .
    You are blessed one to have-great Papa.

Love,
    Mohit Makin

Comment by Mohit Makin — 8 June, 2010 @ 8:34 am | Reply

8. Vikram , I have no words to express my feelings. I truly understand your love and gratitude for your father. God Bless

Comment by Anuj — 8 June, 2010 @ 9:06 am | Reply

9. Dear Vikram,

I am sure your father is always near you and your family to support and guide you during this journey of life.

ADS

Comment by ADS — 8 June, 2010 @ 12:22 pm | Reply

10. It is a very inspiring write up.

Comment by manpreet — 8 June, 2010 @ 1:15 pm | Reply

11. Dear Vikram & Lakhvinder,

A glowing tribute paid by Vikram to his Dad once again bring tears rolling down the cheeks reminding the good old days.

Rajinder (my brother in law) undisputed was a towering personality who achieved every thing in life so fast so quickly. He possibly knew that the time was at a premium which was running out fast and thus was always in a hurry to reach his targets uninterrupted. An honest and upright soldier who suddenly left at the prime of his career at the age of 55 years leaving every one stunned. His smiling face shows his loving heart and the Noble ideals he possessed. We pay a glowing tribute with prayers on our lips before the Almighty to grant him eternal peace.

Remembrance on his 9th death anniversary. He lives in our hearts for ever and ever. God Bless!!!!!!!!
    Iqbal, Sucheta & Beshakha

Comment by Brig Iqbal Singh, (Retd) — 9 June, 2010 @ 5:12 pm | Reply

12. Dear brother-in-law Vikram,

At the very outset, let me congratulate you for writing such a brilliant account of Papa,”Straight from the heart”, as you put it. Such inspirational moments are indeed rare, when one’s deepest and most profound emotions spill over and take the form of an expression which touches a chord in every heart (as is obvious from the various comments above.) Your thought about parents being being our living gods on earth is genuinely heart-warming and makes me feel proud of you.

As the son-in-law of this great man, I am moved and touched, (to the point of being speechless), after perusing the contents and photographs so amazingly crafted by you for this website on the occasion of our beloved Papa’s tenth death anniversary.

I can’t help but share a few of my thoughts about Papa today. He was a quintessential ‘Good ‘cop for whom his profession was as sacred as any holy-text and his religiously single-minded devotion to work was uncompromising and complete. He epitomised the values of integrity and probity in public life, diligence, punctuality,discipline, pride in the uniform (which he donned with great elan) and the lofty ideals of the Indian Police Service. The medals and distinctions he received were but a natural corollary to the above qualities, which he possessed in great abundance. Being an IPS officer myself, I could only observe and marvel at Papa’s clockwork precision and commitment to work and try to imbibe from him as much as I possibly could.

He was gifted with a handsome personality, having a radiance and demeanour which was imposing and authoritative and yet amiable and majestic. His disarming smile and full-throated laughter were his trademarks which are still fresh in my mind. But more than these physical attributes, it was his qualities of the head and heart which endeared him to one and all. He had a heart of gold. Among his finest qualities was empathy, to such an extent that he would make your problem his own, live with it till he solved it, as if it was his own from the very beginning. (I bear testimony to the above trait as I often used to share my professional worries with him.)

As a father, he was fully aware and focussed about his responsibilities towards his children, always a strict disciplinarian when required and yet a doting father who nurtured his children with tenderness and protection. (Your sister Rimi and you will be in total agreement with me on this, I am sure.) As a friend and colleague, he was much loved, admired and revered by his peers and contemporaries. As a boss,he was a hard taskmaster who led from the front, absolutely upright and his workaholic enthusiasm tended to rub-off on all those around him. He was a ‘leader’, in the true spirit of the word.

But above all this, as a human-being, he was a man for whom tears flowed profusely at the time of his sudden demise and they flow as profusely today whenever we remember his divine qualities.

Papa may not be with us, but his memories,ideals and principles will continue to live in our hearts and souls and motivate and inspire us for all time to come.

Comment by M.S.BHATIA,IPS — 10 June, 2010 @ 12:39 pm | Reply

13. Dear Vikram

A very touching account indeed which brought tears into my eyes. Your true emotions have taken expression through words. It was an inspiring account and in today’s time, we need to follow the principles of uprightness, integrity, devotion to work and respect for others more than anytime before. Let us try to imbibe same in our personal and professional lives.

With all humility, respect and love, my wishes are with you and your family.

Gaurav Suri

Comment by Gaurav Suri — 10 June, 2010 @ 7:55 pm | Reply

14. Dear Vikram

It was very touching and inspiring to read about uncle. He was a man with golden heart. Rachna and I remember the short time spent with him in Goa. He made the trip memorable with his wormth and love. He will always hold special place in our heart.
    love SuneeRachna

Comment by Suneer Bangia — 10 June, 2010 @ 10:31 pm | Reply

15. simply superlative….i feel at a loss for words to express the surge of emotion i felt on reading the tribute….this is immortal love…

Comment by Geetanjali Hirani — 17 June, 2010 @ 8:44 pm | Reply

16. Sir,

I am touched and speechless. You are not only outstanding and peachy in your profession but also a great human being, whom we are proud of. You presented Uncle’s accomplishments with a great fervor and is commendable.

…Awanish

Comment by Kumar Awanish — 20 May, 2011 @ 10:40 am | Reply

17. It’s been 11 years today.

Comment by Sahaye — 8 June, 2011 @ 7:14 pm | Reply

18. Vikram, I copy your thougths! My heartiest tribute to your great father!

Comment by Digvijay — 9 June, 2011 @ 11:53 am | Reply

19. SSA Vikram,
    I have read the heart touching feelings towards your father and i really appreciate the love & respect you have in your heart.
    I have seen the video also.
    May everyone gets father as nice as ur father and every father gets son as you are.
    Regards,
    Gurpreet Singh

Comment by GPS — 1 April, 2012 @ 1:11 pm | Reply

20. Very touching tribute to your dad. I also worked in Delhi Police . Although I did not work under him but I know how noble and nice person he was. You are a great son of a great dad.

Comment by Sarvjit Singh Dhillon — 9 June, 2012 @ 8:28 pm | Reply